dmd codegen improvements

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 29 17:12:25 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 23:16:19 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/30/2015 01:10 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> LOL. I've actually run into a fun problem with the program
>> that I use to
>> update dmd on my box. It needs root permissions to install
>> dmd, so it
>> does sudo up front to get the password and then reruns it
>> before every
>> command to reset the sudo timer. Before dmd switched to the D
>> front-end,
>> that worked, and I didn't have to type in my password again.
>> So, I could
>> just kick off the update program and leave. However, after the
>> switch to
>> D, the Phobos build and tests take longer than 5 minutes (or
>> whatever
>> the exact sudo timeout is), and I keep having to rerun my
>> program to
>> update dmd, because I run it and forget about it, and sudo
>> eventually
>> times out waiting for me to type in the password and
>> terminates the
>> update program. If my computer were faster, this wouldn't be a
>> problem,
>> but it worked prior to the move to D, and it doesn't now. So,
>> from that
>> standpoint, the 30% loss of speed in dmd is already costing me.
>

> I think there's a way to increase the default timeout. :-)

LOL. Likely so, but I'd prefer not to have to muck with my system
settings just to be able to deal with the dmd build. What would
probably be better would be to fix it so that the update program
can continue from where it was left off if it needs to...

Regardless, this situation caught me by surprise, and it was a
result of dmd's loss in performance with the switch to D.

- Jonathan M Davis