dmd codegen improvements

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 29 18:48:05 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 20:36:33 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> doesn't seem to be able to do anything right.  D doesn't strike
> me as a language, project or community lacking in direction,
> particularly given recent developments.  I suspect resources of
> all sorts will come in time.

When people work on FOUR compilers then you cannot complain about
lack of resources. You then need to see if you can do something
to unite efforts.

> Toy languages aren't used by the sorts of people that have
> built their businesses around D.  I don't think you do yourself
> any favours by adopting the tone you do.  It's disrespectful
> and unconstructive.

I am not calling D a toy language, other people do and you have
to come to terms with that. D has rough edges and is in an
incomplete state, this has to be acknowledged rather than glossed
over, it is dishonest and give developers too high expectations.
That is disrespectful to potential adopters. And that is why
these complaints resurface with a high pitched delivery.

> In any case, I don't wish to divert attention from what's
> important, so I won't say anything more on this topic.

Having a propietary in the core product is a liability in terms
of creating a foundation. That actually is important. It actually
would be better to reimplement a new D backend from scratch.