dmd codegen improvements

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 29 19:34:45 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 30 August 2015 at 02:16:13 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> They aren't really four compilers. It is more like 2.1. sdc is
> a separate project, but dmd, ldc, and gdc share like 90% of the
> effort, so it is more realistic to call them 1.1 compilers
> rather than 3...

Then why are they trailing the main compiler if they represent an
insignificant effort? Even at 10% it would be a lot for a 10+
year old project. I also think it is higher than that accumulated
over time too (sans Phobos).

Having a non-free undocumented backend discourage people who
think backend work is fun from contributing to the main compiler.
Doing some open source backend work on a more lightweight well
documented backend could be fun, I would think.

If you as a leader feel you lack resources you essentially have
to give up some of your own for the greater good. If you end up
having to do all the work yourself, then you need to rethink your
strategy. Because that strategy is not sustainable.