I hate new DUB config format

Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 1 01:43:22 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 at 02:46:46 UTC, lobo wrote:
> On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 21:05:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 20:42:23 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>>> Should we try to implement yet another language for writing
>>> building config?
>>
>> No, I wasn't really talking about a build system for D, more
>> like a hypothetic generic distributed build system for all
>> languages. But I've read that Google uses a distributed build
>> system for their big C++ applications. So people are working
>> on such solutions already.
>>
>>> Maybe we should use any of existence language that may be
>>> very good for it, like Red. It have very small foot prints so
>>> it can be easy to embeded to build system.
>>
>> I've never heard of Red, do you have a link?
>
> Red started out as a Rebol 2 clone and last I checked (18
> months ago) it was still is Rebol 2 compatible.
>
> http://www.red-lang.org/
>
> bye,
> lobo

Red is not Rebol2 compatible - it's outright impossible to have a
single script file that'll run without errors on both Rebol2 and
Red. The reason is that Rebol2 requires the first thing in the
file to be a `REBOL` preamble, while Red requires it to be a
`Red` preamble(though it's generous enough to allow a shebang
before it). Since you can only have one preamble, and it can't be
both `REBOL` and `Red`, I refuse to call them compatible even if
every Rebol2 command can be copied to a Red script and run in
there!

At any rate, please don't use any Rebol dialect in DUB(or for
anything else, in that matter. Just - don't use it). Many
languages have awkward quirks, but Rebol seems to be a collection
of awkward quirks with a programming language somtimes
accidentally hiding in between, created by someone who thought
Perl is too readable and shell scripts have too strict type
systems.