I hate new DUB config format

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 1 04:03:23 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 20:42 +0000, Suliman via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Should we try to implement yet another language for writing
> building config? Maybe we should use any of existence language
> that may be very good for it, like Red. It have very small foot
> prints so it can be easy to embeded to build system.

Writing a build system in a languages such as Python, Scala,
Java/Groovy or even D, is not writing a new language, it is writing an
internal DSL in that language. Make and CMake are new languages, they
are external DSLs with compilers, etc.

In all cases the DSL is a front to a constraint-based system with
resolution: Make, SCons, CMake, Gradle, SBT are all the same in this
respect. Maven is somewhat different but only somewhat.

What we currently have with Dub as I understand it is a constraint
satisfaction engine with two front ends. I am not sure why this causes
such warfare. Ant is a build engine with an XML and a Groovy front end,
those that like XML use that, those that do not can use Groovy. I am
unaware of any warfare in the Ant community about this choice.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk