This Week in D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 1 07:54:18 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 at 15:04:48 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I actually think weekly pull request reports and such aren't
> all that interesting at all, that's why I like to do the tips
> and try to summarize things that might influence the future
> direction of D.

Yes, tips are really cool and probably a good reason for people
to read it. Forward looking "tidbits" are good and fun too.

> topics come up more for discussion. And not just length of
> discussion or frequency of threads, but the attitude we see
> inside from a few key members.

Sure.

> TWID's audience includes visitors, but its core are already D
> users at varying levels of activity who don't necessarily know
> all these things but want to.

It _is_ challenging to write for many different types of readers,
newbies vs oldbies, random visitors that want to know status quo
and which one want to appear attractive to, computer scientists
vs teenagers etc. It is indeed much easier to write for a narrow
group.

Personally I feel the downside of having a weekly issue is that
only a couple of things "happen" each week. So a random person or
more passive D user will get less of a sense that "things are
happening". The upside is that active D users get something
predictable each week. I only write from the perspective of
appealing to "critical programmers" at the front page.

Other languages also have websites that rub me the wrong way by
being "too personal" too (which implies small and unfinished). I
think Rust does pretty well by taking the "clean technical
information hub" approach, but that has nothing to do with the
newsletter. :)