Three people out of four dislike SDL

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 1 17:10:06 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 at 23:34:12 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> <sarcasm>I think the default should be the obscure, hipster
> language that no-one has heard of and who's website is
> currently offline[1]. Using this language for dub configuration
> should increase the barrier-to-entry just enough to weed out
> the soft programmers who we don't need using D. Json is far too
> easy to learn and too many IDE's support it. We want real
> programmers who like hard work, damn it!</sarcasm>
>
> [1]: http://sdl.ikayzo.org/display/SDL/Language+Guide

Thats why I want to rename it Simple Dead Language.

Honestly though there is nothing to 'Learn'.  You look at the
examples and write your config file.  Honestly, when you are
editing the text based configuration file for some software do
you seriously even ask yourself "What language is this written
in".  Unless it is XML or JSON you would likely never know, and
wouldn't bother to look it up.

For example what language is Nginx's config written in:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/understanding-the-nginx-configuration-file-structure-and-configuration-contexts

I have no idea!

And with SDL if you have a problem you can write a comment to
yourself explaining how it works once you figure it out.  While
JSON supposedly supports comments anyone who can't figure out SDL
syntax clearly isn't smart enough to write comments in a JSON
file :o)