vibed and thrift client

Nikolay via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 1 19:31:22 PST 2015

I am using thrift client inside vibe.d application. Currently
thrift uses standard blocking IO calls. So I use async thrift
client inside vibed. Some other libraries (e.g. ddb postgres
drive) have special build option for using vibe.d IO library
(fiber friendly). I created request in Jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-3459 for integration
thrift with vibed async IO.

Jens Geyer (member of thrift team) wrote:
As long as we don't add any dependencies that are not optional,
that's fine. If this is going to add a hard dependency to
whatever library and this is by no means convertible into
something that can be added optionally, I'm not so sure if we
really want this. Speaking about Thrift in general, we try to
keep it free from hard dependencies.
If this can be made optional in some way, either by just
optionally adding it to the current D project, or (in the case
where Thrift compiler support is needed) to bind this additional
dependency to an compiler parameter (like thrift -gen
d:add_support_for_XYZ) and some majority of users wants this,
e.g. because XYZ is state of the art, that's a different thing.
Could you please elaborate somewhat more about why you think this
is a good addition?
@other D users: Your opinion is also important here.