"Getting involved" on dlang.org?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 02:26:08 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 01:40:36 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 at 21:01:17 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> There is a lot of low hanging fruit, stuff that doesn't even
>> require coding.
>
> You know, I just want to point out that writing documentation
> is actually really quite hard... you need to know how it works,
> well enough to write about (which can be even harder than just
> writing it yourself, especially with the complex
> implementations in Phobos) while being able to write... and
> still knowing what new readers know and don't know so your
> documentation is readable to them.
>
> I think the reason documentation is kinda poor in so many
> objects is that it is actually really hard to do.

No, it is not easy. Even writing a good manual for a microwave is
not easy. But some people are good at it and may want to
contribute. Let's say there's a technical writer/reviewer who
wants to add things here and there. We should make it as easy as
possible for them.

Again, as I said to bachmeier (the name sounds Bavarian, btw), if
the system is so complicated, there's something wrong.

Then again, simple changes like typos, fixing and adding links is
not complicated at all. First start with the easy bits, and once
people feel more confident, they can move on to more challenging
tasks. However, the introduction and setup should be painless. I
think this is very important, else we lose a lot of potential
contributors.

[snip]