"Getting involved" on dlang.org?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 08:22:31 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 15:35:23 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 10:26:09 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Again, as I said to bachmeier (the name sounds Bavarian, btw),
>> if the system is so complicated, there's something wrong.
>

> yeah. I think it is a huge pain to contribute to the web site,
> though it is a lot better than it used to be, it still needs a
> bunch of setup and maintenance to keep your branches up to
> date. Ugh, not nice for casual users.

Setup and maintenance is one thing.

Another is having to learn Git if you don't already know it.

Another is that there is no guide for contributing to the
documentation. I didn't know lines are supposed to be no more
than 80 columns. I didn't know you can't have whitespace at the
end of a line. I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking
about right now.

Another is that you have no way to know what is an acceptable
change and what is not. Fixing a typo is no big deal. Anything
more than that, it is apparently up to the person that reviews
the PR. It's a big project to create a PR to suggest a change
that might or might not satisfy unstated criteria.

I'm not sure what the answer might be, but contributing to the
documentation is not at all the trivial process that is often
claimed.