Three people out of four dislike SDL

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 09:12:55 PST 2015

Am Tue, 01 Dec 2015 03:49:07 +0000
schrieb Adam D. Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com>:

> simpledisplay.d can do what SDL does :P
>
> oh wait this is about the other SDL
>
> well I want to talk about simpledisplay. I've been doing a
> documentation book in the ddoc with lots of examples:
>
> http://arsdnet.net/arsd/simpledisplay.html
>
> (similar docs are on the way for cgi, dom, minigui, and
> simpleaudio btw)
>
> I'm so close to being able to replace SDL with just a couple
> little D files - no more annoying DLLs!

This is actually good marketing. Everyone into cross-platform
graphics knows what to expect from SDL. Most people here
heard of simpledisplay, but it remained unclear what the scope
is. It can create windows, ok. But by saying the feature set
is the same as SDL we know that it will work on OS X, Windows,
Linux, handle input from various sources, at least mouse,
keyboard and joystick, create OpenGL contexts, handle
fullscreen mode etc. E.g. if you are accustomed to the feature
set SDL offers and don't want to miss anything you take for
granted there, simpledisplay is the way to go.

(I assume there is still a bit of functionality missing, but
then feature parity with SDL is still the target and you are
more likely to add requested features if they are already
offered by SDL.)

--
Marco