Three people out of four dislike SDL

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 09:31:23 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 17:12:56 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> This is actually good marketing. Everyone into cross-platform
> graphics knows what to expect from SDL. Most people here heard
> of simpledisplay, but it remained unclear what the scope is.

I'm a bit unclear myself :P sometimes i want to add more and have
to tell myself I called it 'simple' for a reason.

But:

> same as SDL we know that it will work on OS X, Windows, Linux,

So far, Windows and Linux are implemented. OS X is coming later
(I finally have a Mac here so I can test it myself but I don't
know Cocoa and am waiting a bit for the D/Obj-c binding to mature
a lil more. Probably going to do it in 2016.)

> handle input from various sources, at least mouse, keyboard

Indeed, those work.

> joystick

Provided in an add-on module right now, joystick.d (in my same
github)

> create OpenGL contexts

works!

> handle fullscreen mode etc.

Partially works, more coming in the next few months. I also do
naked windows in it (no decorations, any size), clipboard, and a
few other little things a GUI app might want on the low level.

I'm also working on audio (in a separate module, simpleaudio.d)
and gui widgets (minigui.d).