I hate new DUB config format

terchestor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 12:57:32 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 20:45:33 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 16:15:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
>>> But it's dead format! Nobody do not use it. JSON easy to
>>> read, there is
>>> a lot of it's checkers and formating tools.
>>>
>>> Yes, it's not perfect, but now it's _standard_. Personally
>>> I'd prefer
>>> yaml, because it's much easier to read for humans.
>>>
>>> But what we will do with SDL? Who know how to parse, validate
>>> it with D,
>>> and with another language? Even ini is better, because
>>> everybody know it.
>>>

>> This whole debate is completely moronic.
>>
>> 1. With DUB, which format is "default" means next to nothing.
>>
>> 2. I don't know where in the world you've gotten the idea you
>> can no longer just copy-paste deps. That's patently BS.
>>
>> 3. SDLang is fucking trivial. Any programmer worth at least
>> half their salt (ie anyone here, including you) could've
>> learned it in same time you've already spent bellyaching about
>> it.
>>
>> 4. Fuck "standard/popular/common". Seriously, fuck it. That
>> sort of bullshit nonsense attitude is EXACTLY why half our
>> industry is as completely fucked as it is with complete and
>> total shit like PHP, JS, Node, JVM, Angular, JS Toolkit
>> #five-billion-and-one, gaudy metro colors, meaningless
>> hieroglyphs, walled gardens, web pages with near-zero content
>> just empty space and screen-sized images with a quick slogan
>> or two, text entry boxes that are *literally* slower than a
>> goddamn Apple II, etc, etc etc... Seriously, enough of this
>> goddamn "fashion before engineering" bullshit. That load of
>> crap is why I'm right on the verge of completely jumping ship
>> from what's left of this goddamn industry. If we start pulling
>> that shit as a matter of course here too, I'm fucking gone,
>> good riddance.
>
> The issue is not with humans reading and writing SDLang files -
> like you said, the syntax is not hard, and besides - the
> default should be enough for most of the basic learning
> projects one can make, so by the time you actually need to edit
> dub.sdl you should know enough D to not be learning two things
> at once.
>
> No - the problem is with making tools(IDEs/editor
> plugins/scripts) parse and emit it. Yes, computers can
> read&write SDLang files - but you need to find a library(or
> write one yourself) that fits your language of choice.
>

> I, for example, have a Ruby script that creates small DUB
> projects for me when I want to test stuff. Since usually I want
> to interact with small parts of the huge application, I need to
> do some specific configuration on the DUB project file so I
> have my Ruby script load it with it's JSON module, perform the
> necessary changes, and save over the original file.
>
> Back then, when DUB moved to SDLang, obviously my script
> crashed because `dub init` now creates SDLang config files by
> [...]

I am most worried that Sonke refuses to respond to very
reasonable arguments like this. He seems to dismiss the entire
discussion as a troll. Clearly that is in part true but we have a
right to hear his response on the valid points. And no, sorry but
just because he has already done the work we won't suck it. At
least please revert the default back to json.

Sonke, please reply.