"Getting involved" on dlang.org?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 2 13:56:42 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 21:45:55 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/02/2015 04:22 PM, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 at 16:54:56 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> Good that we're talking about this now. Maybe the D
>>> leadership is not
>>> aware of this. Too many little annoyances that keep people
>>> from
>>> contributing.
>>
>> I'm going to guess that they are probably not aware of it.
>
> There is awareness. Good documentation is something we know we
> need and is an ideal to live into.
>
> Problem is prioritizing. I must be spending cumulatively a
> couple of times everyday just deciding what to work on next.
> Forty-six emails are waiting in my Inbox, earliest from
> September; most likely their senders either have long forgotten
> about them, or are wondering about my manners. But each is
> nontrivial. Some are one mini-project each, and some are major
> projects in themselves.
>
> There are occasional mini-fires on the forum, and literally I
> could fill every day with work suggested on the forum. I'm
> trying to delegate as best I can. As is widely known around
> here, that works only sometimes, and sadly not always things
> are done the way I'd wish are.
>
> At the same time my mind is burning at both ends with work on
> the containers. Which are going to be awesome. There's so much
> going on, I find myself scheming and running calculations first
> time I open eyes in the morning (actually even before :o)) and
> last time before I fall asleep.
>
> In this context, it's very difficult for me to think, "Sure,
> the best work of my life can wait. Now let me sit down and
> write a good tutorial."
>
> I thought dedicating my time to D will make things much easier
> - but in fact the added focus and productivity only piles more
> things on the plate!
>

> Andrei

When I refer to the leadership, I'm thinking of the core dev
team. This is not something you or Walter should be messing with.
The D community is large enough at this point that others should
be able to take care of these things without you even knowing
about it.

Maybe that won't happen, but we're doomed if the two of you are
writing a guide for contributing to the documentation.