Thoughts on a Future Garbage Collector

Nerve via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 3 11:03:35 PST 2015

On Thursday, 3 December 2015 at 18:36:22 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
> My experience from Java is that one size never really fits all.
> Open it up instead. Let the community "plug in" and I am sure D
> will get a wealth of memory management strategies fast. Not
> just 1 garbage collector, but N garbage collectors.

One approach might be to allow for memory management with better
primitives that simplify the design of manually managed software.

I've been greatly enjoying Jonathan Blow's video blogs on the
design of his own language, Jai. It's targeted at game
programmers, and as such he's gone to great pains to ensure
language primitives remove the friction from manually allocating
and deallocating memory, while still providing the full power of
such a system.

I wonder what Walter and Andrei think of potentially overhauling
those elements in D. Right now all of the manual memory
management is basically ripped from C and C++ with no changes,
and no insights into how to improve such a system. But I do see
why they went that route. Type safety is a top concern.