OT: Swift is now open source

tcak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 3 18:59:21 PST 2015

On Thursday, 3 December 2015 at 20:37:04 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 12/3/15 3:16 PM, Meta wrote:
>> On Thursday, 3 December 2015 at 19:10:04 UTC, Steven
>> Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> And the lack of semi-colons has poisoned me from writing
>>> syntactically
>>> valid lines in D :)
>>
>> Surprisingly (or not), lack of semicolons is something that I
>> have
>> sorely missed in D/++/Java/C#/etc. ever since I first tried
>> Ruby.
>> There's a lot to be said for the little quality of life
>> features in a
>> language.
>
> You may misunderstand -- I prefer semicolons. But having to
> write swift code for a few weeks, I find now when I write D
> code I forget them all the time (where usually my proper
> semi-colon rate is near 100%).
>
> -Steve

Since you have experience, what is the level of the language? Is
it C or Javascript level? It is not clear by looking at example
codes, and I do not have much time these days to try anything
new. (My first post was written by looking at code examples.)

Are you able to define C bindings? Can I do socket programming?
Are Posix function accessible? How is the speed?