Complexity nomenclature

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 4 01:17:07 PST 2015

On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 09:09:35 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
> and space complexity (the correctness is given). Otherwise,
> designing large systems becomes impossible, because all large
> systems have hard performance requirements.

I am sorry to say this, but hard performance requirements require
O(1) on everything.

Big-Oh tells you essentially very little if it is more than O(1).
Quick sort and insertion sort are O(N^2), bucket sort is O(N).
That does not make bucket sort faster than quick sort or even
insertion sort on a specific case as it is dominated by the
number of possible values.