Complexity nomenclature

tn via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 4 01:51:05 PST 2015

On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 03:37:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/3/15 10:29 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>> On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 02:21:12 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Your premise is right but you reach the negation of the
>>> correct
>>> conclusion. -- Andrei
>>
>> How so? If a singly linked list and a doubly linked list have
>> two
>> different method names for the same operation, then they
>> cannot be
>> easily templated.
>
> Took me a while to figure. There's a hierarchy of operations,
> e.g. if a collection implements insert, it automatically
> implements linearInsert. And so on. The collections framework
> provides these defaults, so client code that needs quick insert
> uses insert, whereas code that's fine with a linear upper bound
> uses linearInsert and captures both.

"I just want to insert an element. I don't care how long it
takes. Why do I need to specify that it should be linear?"

In my opinion, there should be "constantInsert", "linearInsert",
etc. for those who care about the complexity, and "insert" should
be always available.