OT: Swift is now open source

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 4 02:24:48 PST 2015

On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 02:59:21 UTC, tcak wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 December 2015 at 20:37:04 UTC, Steven
> Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 12/3/15 3:16 PM, Meta wrote:
>>>
>>> Surprisingly (or not), lack of semicolons is something that I
>>> have
>>> sorely missed in D/++/Java/C#/etc. ever since I first tried
>>> Ruby.
>>> There's a lot to be said for the little quality of life
>>> features in a
>>> language.
>>
>> You may misunderstand -- I prefer semicolons. But having to
>> write swift code for a few weeks, I find now when I write D
>> code I forget them all the time (where usually my proper
>> semi-colon rate is near 100%).
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Since you have experience, what is the level of the language?
> Is it C or Javascript level? It is not clear by looking at
> example codes, and I do not have much time these days to try
> anything new. (My first post was written by looking at code
> examples.)
>
> Are you able to define C bindings? Can I do socket programming?
> Are Posix function accessible? How is the speed?

As opposed to D, there is a lot of conversion going on from C to
Swift

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/Swift/Conceptual/BuildingCocoaApps/InteractingWithCAPIs.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014216-CH8-XID_13

PS One hour of working with Lua ruin my semicolon discipline in
D. And I am a semicolon man. First I type them in Lua, then I
leave them out in D!