Complexity nomenclature

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 4 06:51:40 PST 2015

On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 13:58:50 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/03/2015 10:46 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 12/3/2015 5:27 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Now this primitive may have three complexities:
>>>

> Looks exaggerated, innit? The fact of the matter is people
> choose collections based on the complexity of their operations
> all the time. "I need to insert and remove at the front, so
> I'll use a list here." Or: "I need random access, I'll use a
> vector" etc.
>

> Andrei

My personal preference would be not to have the complexity in the
names, as I prefer shorter/concise names. Typically when I am
writing code using containers of any sort I will check the
documentation to determine what the cost of the operations I need
is and base my choice off of that. I would think (hope) most
others do this too.  However, I don't have a strong objection to
the what is being proposed.

Would you have an insertLogarithmic ( insertInverseAckerman :o)
too?