Wiki article: Starting as a Contributor

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 4 08:25:38 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 at 18:58:37 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 21:25:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> I had to set up dmd and friends on a fresh Ubuntu box, so I
>> thought I'd document the step-by-step process:
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor
>
> Due to a realization that there were three places were
> contributing info was held on the wiki, I have merged the pages
> into this one as best as I could. This page now holds
> everything someone should need to get started.

IMO this is a lot better. Thanks for doing it.

I don't have the knowledge, but recently there was discussion in
a different thread about guidelines for contributing to the
documentation. It would be good to have that info on this page.

Here are some examples of things that arose as I tried to
contribute:

1. Coding style (line width no more than 80 characters, no
trailing whitespace, ...)
2. This is what you can assume the reader knows. Otherwise you
should explain or link to a good explanation providing that
information.
3. Some guidelines on good and bad examples.
4. ddoc has lots of things like See_Also. When should they be
used?

I'd do it if I could.