OT: Swift is now open source

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 8 01:14:25 PST 2015

On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 03:18:02 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> The type system is static, and everything is done via
> inference, which is very nice.

According to a swift dev I talked to, part of the algorithm is
exponential and they have compile time problem because of this.

> Speed wise, I can't be sure. I'm sure others here have a better
> understanding. All I've used it for so far is UI code on iOS.
> Usability-wise, it's much easier to write swift than Objective
> C.

I've seen all kind of numbers. It seems that there are a lot of
feature that can be enabled/disabled, like overflow check, and it
changes the performance profile quite a lot.

> One thing I would LOVE to see in D from swift is inference of
> enum names.
>
> In D-speak, it looks like this:
>
> enum Foo
> {
>    Bar,
>    Baz
> }
>
> Foo foo;
>
> switch(foo)
> {
>    case .Bar: // Foo is implied
>    case .Baz:
> }
>
> void fun(Foo);
>
> fun(.Bar); // Foo is implied
>
> I don't think we could have this exact syntax, though.
>
> -Steve

switch(foo) with(Foo) {
    case Bar:
    case Baz: