Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 10 05:27:45 PST 2015

On Thursday, 10 December 2015 at 12:28:16 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> Julia clearly has a strong and (relatively slowly) growing
> community. It will require the "killer app" effect to change it
> from being a fairly niche language given the state of the R,
> Python, C++, Fortran establishment.

Yes, it will certainly take time. I've recently watched some of
the videos from JuliaCon2015 and I'm getting this "constructive
tinkerer" feeling from them. I'm perceiving the same kind of
enthusiasm as you get from fans of SmallTalk, Processing and
other "tinkering-languages". Such domain-oriented eco-systems can
build very strong communities over time, I think.

> Clearly Go is biting into the C and Python usage, but I suspect
> mostly only in networking and networking-related things.

Yes, Python is much better for transforming data easily, so I am
bit sceptical of Go as a replacement for other languages. Seems
to be more of a "narrow" language, like for delivery of
dynamic/interactive web content.

> C++17 and C++20 are very likely to undermine any move by C++
> folk to Rust or D I suspect.

As long as the message "next version of modern C++ is going to be
much better" is being delivered they probably will stick with
it... I guess that is the strategy, announce the next version of
C++ before the current one is implemented.

And that might also be a reason for people dropping Go. There is
just no hope if you are unhappy with the current language.

I think maybe over time some embedded C++ could move to Rust.
There seems to be some sporadic efforts to do runtime-less Rust.
The language itself doesn't seem to be runtime heavy.