Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 10 07:16:05 PST 2015

On Thursday, 10 December 2015 at 13:31:00 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>> C++17 and C++20 are very likely to undermine any move by C++
>> folk to Rust or D I suspect.
>
> So I hope Walter and Andrew will do steps like including vibed
> in DMD distributive and will focus on Web-assembly. I am not
> sure that strategy of better integration with C++ is help to
> get more people interesting in D. It's just like IBM, that
> added support of Windows apps in OS/2 instead of writing native.
>
> I really hope to see D more high level language instead
> language concurrent with with came niche with Rust.

But here it is also problematic.

D is pretty close in syntax to Java and C#.

Both are now getting AOT compilers as part of their standard
toolchains.

Java will eventually get a better story for value types with Java
10.

C# 7 and later are getting features from System C#, the version
used to develop project Midori.

Given that one cannot consider a programming language without the
eco-system, I don't see the type of customers we work with,
switching away from the JVM or CLR.

--
Paulo