Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 11 02:14:27 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-10 at 15:25 +0000, Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> […]
>
> Please no.
>
> Not everything has to be in Phobos; this just puts unnecessary
> pressure on Phobos maintainers to work on vibe.d as well, and it
> will slow down vibe.d development DRASTICALLY due to the extra
> scrutiny for Phobos PRs. Not to mention that breaking changes
> will no longer be able to happen with vibe.d. Also, vibe.d seems
> to be doing just fine as it is.

The days of "batteries included" in language distributions are well
over. Something Python is having to come to terms with and not doing
too well as yet. (Though Continuum Analytics are driving one possible
future forward very well.)

The core distribution, here Druntime and Phobos, should only be that
which is consciously in integral and required part of the language.
Everything else should be in packages. Ceylon + Herd, Rust + Cargo +
crates.io, Go + (Git|Mercurial), etc. My feeling is that Ceylon is a
bit restrictive in that it only has a central curated repository. Go is
being over libertarian in having no central repository but great
support for DVCS repositories. Rust may be taking the best middle path,
there is a curated central repository but also, easy access to Git and
Mercurial repositories.

Clearly D has a package system, but in this it is like Ceylon. I think
it needs to be more like Rust. So in this sense Dub needs to be more
like Cargo. (It is already very like, in fact may have influenced.)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk