Wishlist for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 12 14:57:55 PST 2015

On Saturday, 12 December 2015 at 22:10:25 UTC, PuglyWUgly wrote:
> D canceled, new language G created for GPU, designed as an
> array processing language. Written in C++ meta templates,
> otherwise nobody will use it. Duh.

Woah, that's drastic, but sounds cool. Well, if we are going
drastic:

1. Get rid of bad typing inherited from C and bad C operator
precedence.

2. Debug-mode testing of integer overflow.

3. Proper nominal typing throughout.

4. Strip out less useful features like call by name parameters
(lazy)

5. Add a high level IR with advanced static analysis capabilities
over it.

6. Clean up the template-system with deductive meta programming.

7. Clean up the syntax, make immutable default, switch to the now
pervasive "name:type" convention for adding types to variables.

8. Make memory management a first class compiler based language
feature.

9. Make runtime less programming the default, GC/RC optional.

10. Make the default programming model multiple isolated threads
with unique_ptr style transfers between them, and add codegen for
webbrowsers for it.

11. First class tuple support.

12. Pattern matching.

13. Mandatory handling of return values.

15. Bit specific integer/float type naming: i32, u32, f32, f64
etc.

16. type state / behavioural typing features

...and more...