D is on his way to Top 20 in Tiobe

tchaloupka via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 13 03:02:26 PST 2015

On Sunday, 13 December 2015 at 10:21:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 December 2015 at 16:14:34 UTC, JohnCK wrote:
>> Sure, I congratulate too, but what I've said is that I think
>> that maybe D lost it's momentum among other languages back
>> then, in fact I think C++ community was aware of this too, and
>> then they started doing all this conferences and being a bit
>> more open-minded, and now there are what I would say "big"
>> competitors like: Go and Rust.
>
> Depends on what is meant by momentum, if we mean growth among
> enthusiasts then I think the above graphs document that D has
> been on a plateau since early 2013.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe the @nogc and gc-free focus gained more
> enthusiasts among the existing D users and perhaps could
> explain the jump in enthusiasm, but no growth over time.
>
> I think Go has experienced both great gains and then
> significant losses, but I don't think Go affects D much. Rust
> was also not so attractive in 2013, so it cannot explain the
> plateau.

Here u go with some comparison charts (stars from github) ;-)

D - https://plot.ly/~chalucha/4/stars-vs-month/
Rust - https://plot.ly/~chalucha/32/rust-stars/
Crystal - https://plot.ly/~chalucha/41/crystal-stars/
Nim - https://plot.ly/~chalucha/47/nim-stars/
Go - it has just mirror on github for not so long - not
interesting much

It seems that all languages gain some momentum in 2013 - maybe
also due to github popularity?