We need better documentation for functions with ranges and templates

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 14 14:31:33 PST 2015

On Monday, 14 December 2015 at 20:52:15 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:

> You don't: array1.length == array2.length. isSameLength is
> designed for comparing input ranges but optimizes down to
> length checks if either range has a defined length. If you are
> dealing with strings or arrays you don't need this function at
> all.

All of the examples that *you wrote* for isSameLength are for
arrays and strings.

>> There's a difference between using all the features of a
>> language and the documentation of the standard library. The
>> documentation should be accessible to new users of the
>> language.
>
> I disagree.

That doesn't make much sense - are those new to the language
supposed to learn Phobos by reading the source code?

I don't want to debate this. If it's the official position that
Phobos documentation is written for experienced users of the
language, then so be it. I'll have to tell others to use a
practical language.