Some feedback on the website.

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 15 14:45:30 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 at 13:42:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Yes, the css has grown long in the teeth. Just replacing it
> with something else is needed, even if it's not an actual
> improvement.

I have to disagree with you heavily on this point. Changing the
look and feel of a site just for the sake of change is a lot of
work for little gain. The issue with the site is not the CSS in
the majority of cases but the content.

Also, you saying "even if it's not an actual improvement"  is a
real head scratcher for me. We need a change even if it makes
things worse?

> A related idea is to investigate the use of
> http://sourcefoundry.org/hack/ for the code samples. Takers?

This would be rather simple to implement, but custom fonts make
pages load slower, on average 100-150ms. When the front page
already takes 2secs+ to load entirely, I would want to do some
optimizations first before this happens.

Some easy wins which could net a 500ms+ speedup:

* use gzip on everything
* minify and concatenate css files
* minify and concatenate js files
* use cache busting plus long cache times in HTTP headers

Unfortunately, all of these require the server admin (whoever
that is) to do it and can't be done via PR.