Wishlist for D

Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 15 23:07:09 PST 2015

On 12/14/2015 01:27 PM, tsbockman via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 December 2015 at 11:25:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 December 2015 at 11:18:31 UTC, Robert burner Schadek
>> wrote:

>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3389
>>
>> I know, but that does not help when one are debugging code that
>> doesn't use it.
>
> I have spent a lot of time trying to design the best checked integer
> type possible for Phobos, and I intend to finish the job (hopefully
> soon).
>
> Nevertheless, I fully agree with Ola: compiler support (similar to how
> array bounds checking is handled already) would be much better than
> any library solution could be. Doing it right would also be a
> fundamental breaking change, though, so this will have to wait for a
> hypothetical D3.

It wouldn't need to be a breaking change if checked integer were a
separate type series, as the unsigned series is.  The types could be
called "cint" etc.  I expect that they would incur significant overhead,
as I don't think there is hardware support for checked integers, and as
such the current types would need to be maintained.