Some feedback on the website.

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 00:21:47 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 02:01:02 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 01:15:45 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> It seems knowing ddoc is part of knowing D. -- Andrei
>
> I just cargo cult something when I contribute to
> phobos/druntime. One cannot know everything.
>
> Also, ddoc always appeared to me like a big NIH syndrome.

Well DDoc may have it's disadvantages, but I'm certain that the
documentation would have been far worse if it wasn't for it.

What I like about it:
+ Good defaults for sections
+ Params section is checked at compile-time and has nice syntax
+ Everything that is not builtin can be implemented as a macro.
+ Recently added feature that allows you to wrap code with ` `
like in markdown

What I don't like about it:
+ It relies too much on macros for some of the stuff that could
have been builtin
+ This makes reading the docs in the source code of some phobos
function harder, because you need to mentally expand the macros
+ The macro syntax probably should have been something like
${MACRO ...} because ( and ) are more often used symbols and
syntax should be optimized for them (so you don't have to escape
them).

In general I prefer markdown's syntax for things like lists,
links, tables, bold and italic text, because it is more easily
readable and writable by humans.