Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 02:33:49 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 04:36:28 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> don't think that's what they're after.  It seems to be
> unseating C/C++ as the major systems and application
> programming languages, while simultaneously expanding that
> market upwards into higher-level domains C++ can't get into
> today.

I think that  this cannot happen without making asm.js a primary
target. Being able to port engines to the browser is just too
valuable. Even for compilers...

> been.  Each of these AoT languages will likely maintain their
> own niche, and C++ has so much legacy baggage- they never talk
> about getting rid of the preprocessor, that's when I'll know
> they're serious- that at least one of them will displace it at
> the top, maybe D. :)

Yes, learning C++ is time consuming. I don't think it will be
replaced in a decade, but Swift will take away some from it in
the applications area. Just like C++ has taken away from C. Maybe
Rust, maybe D3... ;)