Some feedback on the website.

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 07:19:12 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 13:49:22 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
>> One still most likely need to build the site, which is kind of
>> a pain to
>> do.
>
> Building the site mimicks building dmd, druntime, and phobos.
> It's an invocation of make. What are the difficulties? -- Andrei

Building dmd, druntime, and phobos is a big pain in the butt too.

To check a change to the documentation right now, you first need
to download and build git dmd (which depends on an existing dmd).
Then druntime and phobos with it. Only then are you in a position
to build the website since it depends on running the compiler
over phobos which often depends on bleeding edge dmd.

Maybe that's easy if you're already running bleeding edge
everything, but it is an awful lot of process when you just want
to eyeball a quick visual change.

(and there's all the stuff about git branches being out of sync
for me too because I'm a more casual contributor)

When I make doc changes, I tend to just do it blind on the
website and hope it works because it isn't worth spending half an
hour setting up just to paste in an example or something.

...and then the auto-tester is awfully whiny so the pull request
needs more adjustment and I'm left dropping f-bombs and vowing to
never try contributing to upstream D again.