Some feedback on the website.

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 17 03:45:06 PST 2015

On 12/16/2015 11:49 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I already help, and I use Ddoc, that's how I know it's crap ;).

You're not one of the people I was referring to, since you do help.

> I wrote the
> documentation for interfacing with Objective-C [1]. It was very frustrating,
> especially since the PDF generator broke because latex can't handle underscores
> as in "D_ObjectiveC". I did get some help in the pull request but not from
> someone that knew how this actually worked. It was most guesses.
>
> If a more widely tool had been used I might have been able to find out how this
> actually works and fixed it. Instead I had to revert to use a hack like wrapping
> the text in the $(D_CODE) macro.

Your issue with Ddoc is that the latex pdf generator you used was broken? Latex
meets your critera as being very widely used. Use another pdf generator. Nobody
has chained you to Latex.

 > Of course, you will always have the issues you mention above. But if you choose
 > a tool that is created for web design and is widely used you will most likely
 > have less of these issues. Most importantly, when something doesn't work there's
 > documentation online to get help from.

Amazon broke the PDF reader in their latest Kindle. I filed a bug report, but
there's nothing I can do about it, and Amazon hasn't/won't fix it. They've sold
millions of the things.

Jacob, I've adapted several books for Ddoc on their way to being Kindle ebooks.
Ddoc works fine for the formatting. The WORK is simply not the formatting, it's
the text creation/editting. If you're spending the bulk of your time fiddling
with Ddoc rather than text creation, I suspect you've gone off the rails somewhere.