Some feedback on the website.

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 17 12:29:06 PST 2015

On Thursday, 17 December 2015 at 19:51:33 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> A document discussing this kind of stuff would be golden. Maybe
> a good topic for next week's TWiD? -- Andrei

If someone writes it, certainly, but I barely know it myself. I
have only successfully build the dlang.org site locally once and
that was after you walked through it and I forgot it all since
then (except that I remember all the negative emotion of the
process like frustration)

Our documentation is lacking documentation...

BTW, on the topic of TWiD, I actually do write it in DDoc, but
there's also a post-processor I run on the generated HTML to make
up for the lack of things like indexes and some links, and I
still feel it is a bit of a pain to use. Missing parenthesis
often leak through to show macros in the end, and having to
replace $ in links (your message IDs always have them so when I
link to your threads, I do a $ -> $(DOLLAR) find/replace, but
gotta be careful to run it only once!)

I'm not unhappy with it and don't want to change it, but I'm not
terribly happy with it either and kinda wish I did it differently.

Overall, my feeling is just... meh. Ddoc is good for inline
documentation, and it can become awesome if we do a little more
work to it (and yes, I might do it myself if I can ever find the
time), but for stand-alone pages... meh, it gets the job done, at
least with a bit of help.