D Consortium as Book / App Publisher... ?

Jakob Jenkov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 20 13:09:31 PST 2015

I was thinking that the D Consortium could function as publisher
of D books too, for the following (obvious) reasons:

1) To raise money for the D Consortium (from sales)

2) To increase the available documentation about D

3) Increased amount of documentation might lead to increased
adoption.

Those in the D community who have experience writing books could
chip in
with a chapter each. The books could then be put together as EPUB
and the D Consortium could self publish them online (e.g. for
Amazon Kindle). I have self published a few books on Amazon about
programming. It's not that hard to do, once you get the first one
done.

The books could be smaller with a more narrow scope, to get them
done faster. For instance, one book about D collections, one book
about D IO etc.

The price range could be around $5 - $9.99 . I think that is a
fair price - especially if developers know that the profits goes
back into the D Consortium. Each sold book on Amazon for $9.99
should be able to give a profit of $7 to the D Consortium.

Another option to raise money and increase the documentation for
D would be to make an Android / iOS app which collects all the D
documentation in one app. The app could work like an e-book. It
is possible to charge a subscription fee for apps. Thus,
supporters could pay e.g. $1 / month - or $6 a year for the app.
The money would go to the D Consortium. In return subscribers
would support D, and have all their D documentation gathered in
one place.

An app would also be able to link to videos, or articles around
the web about D.

Yes, I know it's a lot of work etc. but it's not impossible.
Writing a focused book of around 100 pages can be done in 3-6
months. If more people chip in, it might even be faster.