D Consortium as Book / App Publisher... ?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 22 07:24:23 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 at 12:55:19 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
>> All decent ideas- I've been thinking recently about setting up
>> a paid blog for articles by D devs- but without someone to
>> explore and push them, they will go nowhere, ie somebody has
>> to do the work of wrangling the writers and docs.
>
> What do you mean by a "paid blog" ?

Simple, a blog that you pay to read. :) It's amazing to me that
people still continue to pump out books, such an outdated form,
simply because it has an existing payment model in place, rather
than trying new paid models online.  Simply churning out ebooks
or the equivalent is all they do, when so much more is possible
online, everything from pay-per-post to comments.  The lack of
imagination is simply stunning.

I've been thinking about trying to get some D devs to contribute
posts to such a paid blog- contacted one guy a couple weeks ago,
he didn't have time- but I wasn't sure if anybody would be
interested in writing posts and if I wanted to spend much time on
getting it going.  That's why I said the main issue is having
someone push it, at least initially.  After that, it of course
depends on who wants to write and if anyone wants to read it.