D Consortium as Book / App Publisher... ?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 22 08:10:23 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 at 15:33:50 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
>> Simple, a blog that you pay to read. :) It's amazing to me
>> that people still continue to pump out books, such an outdated
>> form, simply because it has an existing payment model in
>> place, rather than trying new paid models online.  Simply
>> churning out ebooks or the equivalent is all they do, when so
>> much more is possible online, everything from pay-per-post to
>> comments.  The lack of imagination is simply stunning.
>
> I agree. A website / blog allows links to videos etc. and it can
> be expanded over time, and indexed by search engines.
>
> Have you considered using LeanPub for this?

Never heard much about them.  Looking at their site now, I like
that they focus on getting chapters in front of readers right
away, while they're being written (which almost every writer
should be doing), but don't like their emphasis on producing
books at the end.

A categorized/tagged blog with comments is a much better
experience than a static book with a table of contents and index,
yet they import blog posts and turn them into a book!  The only
reason is that books have a long-standing payment model in place:
it's as though everyone were still selling buggies because there
are only buggy dealers and no car dealers yet.

It is all beyond idiotic: it is amazing how long antiquated ideas
stick around, only because people cannot imagine anything else.