Redesign of dlang.org

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 23 01:59:56 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 at 16:58:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/22/2015 02:19 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2015-12-21 18:37, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>>> That's a large leap. I suggest using Ddoc instead of Sass
>>> compact CSS
>>> files, see the existing instance at
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/css/cssmenu.css.dd.
>>>

>>> CoffeeScript sounds like a nice thing to add and is from what
>>> I've heard
>>> reasonably stable.
>>>
>>> We can't make the site depend on dub at this time. There have
>>> been
>>> situations in the past when dub wouldn't build and nobody was
>>> available
>>> to work on it. At that time only the alternate documentation
>>> got broken,
>>> but if the site depends on it we're looking at catastrophic
>>> failure.
>>
>> I have no interest in using Ddoc. If that's a requirement we
>> can close
>> down the redesign idea completely.
>
> I was afraid you were going to say this. Looks like we're
> reaching an impasse again, so let me explain the situation from
> where I stand and kindly attempt to change your viewpoint a bit.
>
> One simple matter of fact is that most work and maintenance on
> dlang.org
> (https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/graphs/contributors) is done by a handful of folks: Walter, myself, Kenji, Martin, Vladimir, followed by a long tail. Lately it's been Vladimir, Martin, and myself who did most maintenance work.
>
> A consequence of that is when someone proposes a different
> technology for dlang.org, the proposal is really that Vladimir,
> Martin, and me become fluent in it. This is a very simple fact
> that I have had difficulty communicating. I've said several
> times that the only thing that would make e.g. vibe.d more used
> on dlang.org is the availability of people able and willing to
> help with it.
>
> As far as I understand you are well versed in a variety of
> Web-related tools, and have your preferences in terms of
> tooling you use etc. That's totally cool. Also, my
> understanding is that you'd consider helping with the redesign
> but only as a one-off contribution; there'd be no implied
> commitment that you'd be available for solving various issues
> related to the technologies you propose. This makes things more
> difficult for everyone involved. What would help would be a bit
> more flexibility with the choices made and more convergence
> toward compromise. You can't come with a battery of large
> changes in a take it or leave it manner.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

First question first, how do one create a template from a design
so that ddoc can generate using it ?

Also, the home page may be one of these that justify going off
road. You often want something more out of the ordinary there as
goals are different from the usual doc page. Is that possible to
have a custom html (or whatever else) for the home page and keep
using ddoc for everything else ?