D, windows developement, frustration and fish

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 02:20:37 PST 2015

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 09:52:46 +0000, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

> On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 09:42:49 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> today i was in need of a little utility that must download the file
>> using "wininet.dll".
>
> You can find wininet.lib in the "lib" directory of the bindings
> repository. There's also a .def file in the "def" directory.

there is no such directory. what i did when i found that i need winapi
bindings is "google://dlang+windows+bindings". that gives me link to
http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi
then i read this there: "Just the win32 package (usable as a
submodule) ... (updated hourly)". i took a look at "CS-svnmirror/dsource-
bindings" and found alot of things i don't need there. then i took a look
at "CS-svnmirror/dsource-bindings-win32" -- bingo! but there is no "lib"
directory and no ".def" files.

sure, it's entirely my fault. instead of just installing the compiler and
tools i had to check all repos, download the big one, then cherry-pick
the necessary, took .libs and so on. oh, that's really what i'm doing
when i want to write a simple utility with mingw... or? or i'm just
executing mingw installer and got all that things out of the box.

now let's imagine that i don't know what all that ".libs" are for and why
i need 'em. i used to use mingw, and mingw "just works". and now i
decided to give D a try -- i sucessfully used it in GNU/Linux, and
windows is more widespread, so there definetely shouldn't be any problems.

or i used msvc, where i don't have to think about ".libs" too.

now i tried D and... well... it might be fun language and all that, but
it's toolchain is definitely hostile. it's almost like "hahaha! you
aren't smart enough to use our Cool Language, you looser!" ok, now you
lost me. i'm really not smart enough to figure out how this smart plan
("gain popularity by alienating newcomers") ought to work.