D, windows developement, frustration and fish

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 02:41:04 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 10:33:51 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> i wonder how mingw linker is able to use .dlls without
> corresponding .lib
> files to link windows executables. maybe it's a weird art of
> forbidden
> black magic or something...

What are you talking about? See WinGW\lib\libuser32.a for example.

The D Win32 headers are actually translated from the MinGW
headers.

> you seem to completely miss my point.

No, I did not miss it and I do not disagree. I created a thread
with a proposal to improve this use case.

However, curiously, D is actually often criticized as being too
Windows-biased.