Should we remove int[$] before 2.067?

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 07:56:17 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 15:31:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 2/1/15 1:54 AM, eles wrote:
>> On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 09:46:45 UTC, eles wrote:
>>

> Well I don't know what to say. I agree with some of your points
> but not with most. It's a bummer you are being frustrated, but
> I know it's impossible to please everyone and I'm not sure how
> we can convert your frustration into something productive. --

One thing that the library-auto solution does not provide is the
*granularity* of what I ask the compiler to infer.

I want the compiler to infer some things, like the length of the
static array, but not others, like the type of the elements.

What if I want to go from

float[$] = [1.09, 1.1];

int[$] = [1, 1];

but instead I make a mistake and I write:

int[$] = [1, 1.1 /* note that I forgot to drop the decimals here
*/ ];

The "auto" will give me a floating point array, the program might
work for a while, than unexpected bugs start arising.

Propensity for bike-shedding behind the covers of intellectual
refinement puzzles me.