Mars Drafting Library - Official community driven library

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 14:27:02 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 09:28:42 UTC, HaraldZealot wrote:
> Approximately a half year ago I have similar idea and
> suggestion.

Thanks for your input. Yes, there are similarities, but there are
also some differences. See some of my comments below:

> This is my idea:
> * make new feature in dub, that it can place some libraries in
> common namespace.
>
> For example CyberShadow's ae will be placed in something like
> advancex.image, or logger (lucky it is in std.experimental
> already, but as alternative history) is placed in stdx.logger.
> But they are not part of phobos in that time but usual dub
> package on dub registry.
>
> * create namespaces "advance" (or any other) for useful but not
> so common components (e.g. proposal windowing, image processing
> an so on), "bind" for Deimos. Phobos is "std" already :). And
> also create their experimental counterpart like "advancex",
> "bindx" and "stdx". (It can be other name but I prefer one
> worded "stdx" than two worded "std.experimental" in other level
> of hierarchy").

This differ from the "Drafting Library" proposal in the following
points:
- modules/packages are owned/driven by one developer
- dub packages are not inclined to work out of the box with dmd
release package

> * make new feature in dub and dub register that counts
> download, likes and bugs. When some package receives essential
> feedback it can be started pull request process.

By the "pull request process" you mean inclusion in Phobos? Then,
in result, wouldn't it just mean: make the most popular dub
package in some category a standard?

> For now I drive two interesting project, but I also try to find
> forces for this one.

The important thing about the proposal is to provide a process so
one can be a part in creating the standard. You could contribute
to drafts for the modules related to areas of your expertise.

Piotrek