Mars Drafting Library - Official community driven library

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 15:21:34 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 22:54:51 UTC, Piotrek wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 21:54:13 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Just few quick questions:
>
> Hi
>
>> 1) what would it give over std.experimental ?
>
> - draft modules will be more flexible for changes than in the
> ones in standard library

As per latest agreement everything in std.experimental is
considered subject to any change so is perfectly flexible.

> - new drafting modules won't disturb usual users of the
> standard library

That statements needs some hard data that current situation is
disturbing to be considered as a rationale.

> IMO, std.experimental is not for the drafting stage of the SW
> development.

Depends on your definition of "draft". Anything that is good
enough to be actually used in real app is good enough for
std.experimental - and anything less is of no use to end user
anyway.

>> 2) what would it give over code.dlang.org ?
>
> - community driven as opposed to individual driven
> - out of the box readiness
> - minimal fragmentation and controversy

code.dlang.org is actually much more community driven because it
is naturally decentralized. Controversy is inevitable anyway
(hello std.json).

Fragmentation is a thing though - but I yet to be convinced that
is a bad thing that needs to be fixed.

>> 3) what problems are you trying to solve and why do you think
>> this is suitable solution?
>
>  Adding new modules (replacing the deprecated ones) in more
> robust and quicker manner.

It is as quick as it can be for standard library - and
code.dlang.org takes care of everything else. Any library that
risks quick removal of deprecated modules / API is not acceptable
for "standard" stamp.

So far this does not seem a proposal that pulls own weight to me.