H1 2015 Priorities and Bare-Metal Programming

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 15:41:21 PST 2015

On 2/1/15 1:57 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/1/2015 3:28 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> He got some very direct responses that told him that if an OS doesn't
>> have thread-support etc there's no use to run D on that. Responses like
>> that obviously demotivate people.
>
>  From myself or Andrei? I don't recall such.

Yah, I must chime in here. I'm a bit surprised by Mike's conclusion that
he's been rejected.

I assume Mike is Michael V. Franklin who gave the talk at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m0m_ZG9e8. I think that's an awesome
talk and awesome work.

Now when I saw his list of grievances today, I was bummed that it didn't
include a bunch of stuff that I can act on. It's just not my specialty,
and I can't spread myself too thin. I know Walter is a good match for
that, and I'm glad he acted on it.

There's something we need to explain about the vision document itself.
Do I want to see more of Mike's awesome work in D going forward? Yes. Do
I want to see D on mobile? Of course. There's a lot of stuff that Walter
and I would like to see happen that's not in the document. The document
itself includes things that he and I actually believe we can work on and
make happen. (In the case of vibe.d, we made sure we asked Sönke.) It
doesn't include awesome things that others can do without our help - and
it shouldn't.

The vision document also doesn't include things we believe are implied.
For example "D should remain an efficient, systems-level language." To
the extent D prevents systems-level work from getting done, we should
fix it to allow that to happen. Again, I'm glad folks like Walter and
Iain have an eye on that.

Andrei