H1 2015 Priorities and Bare-Metal Programming

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 16:57:45 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 23:41:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Yah, I must chime in here. I'm a bit surprised by Mike's
> conclusion that he's been rejected.

Forgive me if that's the conclusion I conveyed.  I said my ideas
were unpopular, and if one follows the links to the threads I
posted, you'll see that indeed they are.  They were indeed
criticized, but it is the lack of interest that is most
discouraging.  I don't necessarily feel rejected.  Rather, I see
that D is heavily biased towards a few specific domains, and I
think D has more potential than that.  So, I suggest the stewards
of the language guard against any trend to make the language too
domain- or platform-specific.

I also said at the start of this thread that I'm ok with
abandoning my ideas, as long as the core team expresses interest
and a way forward that I can get on board with.

> I assume Mike is Michael V. Franklin who gave the talk at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m0m_ZG9e8.

Actually, I was so excited about D, I changed my name to Michael
D. Franklin:  https://archive.org/details/dconf2014-day02-talk07

> There's a lot of stuff that Walter and I would like to see
> happen that's not in the document. The document itself includes
> things that he and I actually believe we can work on and make
> happen. (In the case of vibe.d, we made sure we asked Sönke.)
> It doesn't include awesome things that others can do without
> our help - and it shouldn't.
>
> The vision document also doesn't include things we believe are
> implied. For example "D should remain an efficient,
> systems-level language." To the extent D prevents systems-level
> work from getting done, we should fix it to allow that to
> happen. Again, I'm glad folks like Walter and Iain have an eye
> on that.

This is exactly the information I hoped to elicit in this thread.
  If there is interest in hardware programming, let's discuss a
way forward.  If the core team already has its hands full, that's
fine too.  Perhaps, it's best for me to reallocate myself
elsewhere and revisit D at a later time.  But I don't want to
remain on the fence.

Mike