H1 2015 Priorities and Bare-Metal Programming

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 20:41:00 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 23:41:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> There's something we need to explain about the vision document
> itself. Do I want to see more of Mike's awesome work in D going
> forward? Yes. Do I want to see D on mobile? Of course. There's
> a lot of stuff that Walter and I would like to see happen
> that's not in the document. The document itself includes things
> that he and I actually believe we can work on and make happen.
> (In the case of vibe.d, we made sure we asked Sönke.) It
> doesn't include awesome things that others can do without our
> help - and it shouldn't.

Yes, this needs to be emphasized, as it isn't obvious that you
limited it only to stuff that you and Walter can personally
enable.  Perhaps you can expand the wiki page with a section for
stuff that you two would like to see, but cannot personally
enable.  Historically, the D community has been horrible at
communicating goals like this, with all current efforts buried in
miles of mailing list threads that few outsiders are ever going
to wade through, if that.

By putting these goals on the wiki, even if you can't personally
enable them, someone might see a goal, decide they'd like to have
that too, and start working on it, secure in the knowledge that
it's wanted and is likely to be merged if certain quality
standards are met.

I suggest you add another clearly labeled section with such
goals, what you "would like to see happen" but cannot "work on
and make happen."  The community might pick those up and run with
them without you.