Should we remove int[$] before 2.067?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 02:28:37 PST 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 09:07:37 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 05:44:46 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> i agree with you, but it's really too late to redesign. :-( it's not
>> about "code breaking", people just will not join D3 (or something)
>> developement at this stage.
>
> I don't agree. D does not have a significant set of libraries that
> developers depend on and also not a large installed base.

but to work on D3 people should be interested in D. and it seems that
people who are interested in D and are ready to work on D development
already have some codebases. i don't believe that they will welcome yet
another codebase conversion. ;-)

>> especially if Walter and Andrei will not join (and i doubt they will).
>
> I think you overestimate the importance of that. It does not matter who
> uses D today. The crux is to appeal to those who do not use it, but
> hacking on it does not fix it for those who have left.

but it's matter who is driving force behind the project. "yet another D
fork from people you never heard about" has little chances to be
successful. besides, Walter owns DMD codegen. it's not the best codegen
in the world, but it's very valuable, 'cause it allows to develop D
without installing llvm/gcc crap.