Should we remove int[$] before 2.067?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 06:11:20 PST 2015

On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 10:28:37 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> but to work on D3 people should be interested in D. and it
> seems that people who are interested in D and are ready to
> work on D development
> already have some codebases. i don't believe that they will
> welcome yet
> another codebase conversion. ;-)

Mmmaybe, but I think more people would be more willing to work on
the compiler if the goal is to produce a niche language of high
standards. Basically, a best of breed for niche X.

When features compete in a way that makes it impossible to be the
best in any niche, then that basically kills motivation (at least
mine).  Complex languages that grow are usually best of breed in
their niche for solving "hard problems".

D is getting complicated, but not to solve hard problems. That is
not a good tradeoff.

There are plenty of simple languages for solving easy problems.

> but it's matter who is driving force behind the project. "yet
> another D
> fork from people you never heard about" has little chances to be
> successful.

Stability, quality and performance. Kill the less important stuff
and move for performance. Performance generally trumps other
parameters if you are actively getting benchmarks published IMHO.

To get performance you need to focus on one platform first.

D is expanding everywhere, even in the standard library... Not
good. D cannot build "high quality anything" without staying
focused. High quality means hardware optimized and best of breed.

Just take a look at the numerical library in D, basically
empty... If you don't have the resources to make the numerical
library look complete then leave it all to a third party.