Build managers

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 08:09:31 PST 2015

On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 12:16:51 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Personally I would propose that a build specification should be
> as
> declarative as possible but no more, i.e. there is always a
> need for
> an element of programming of build. Thus a framework based on an
> internal DSL has to be the right choice. SCons is on Python,
> Gradle is
> on Groovy.

I agree 100%. Declarative where possible (with sensible
defaults), full general-purpose programming language where
needed. I'm not sure how to approach that using D unless I go the
Groovy way: a scripting language that accepts all D code as valid
code. Or just use D and have a main function in the build
description file. It means more boilerplate, but I guess not that
much.

Atila

> SCons is entirely focused on mixed C, C++, Fortran and D
> systems. It
> is not perfect, it needs work – not least working on Python 3.
>
> Gradle is JVM-based, but now has C++ native code abilities. It
> is not
> beyond the bounds of possibility that a D capability could be
> created.

I doubt the D community will embrace having to write Groovy to
configure their builds, but I could be wrong.

Atila